Friday, April 4, 2014

Alexander Hill - British Navy with Admiral Nelson


3rd Great Grandfather


Alexander Hill headstone - Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Utah


There was some debate about what exactly did Alexander Hill do in the British Navy and if he was ever even in the Navy. I was at the LDS Church History Library and found this story that he wrote (dictated) himself. Someday I would like to write a book about his adventures. I also like the anchor on his headstone.
I looked at the Church History Library site and it does not list this history as digitized. I have a copy of the original which is handwritten and I suspect that it was dictated. What I have posted is a transcript of the original.
If anyone would like a copy of the original, just email me and I will send it to you.

Great Salt Lake City July 9, 1855
Synopsis of the life of Alexander Hill
     Alexander Hill, son of Daniel and Mary Hill born in Skipwick, Argyleshire, Scotland in August 1, 1779, reared in the town of Greenock in the west of Scotland, until I was about 11 years of age, at which time I removed to the town of Johnston, Renfrewshire.
In the year 1795, I engaged as a volunteer in the British Navy, was sent to Plymouth on board the Guard ship “Sandwich”. Drafted on board the “Arathusa” frigate, was sometime in the Channel fleck, where I took sick with fever and was sent to the Portsmouth hospital, was there six weeks and got well. Afterwards sent on board the Guard ship “Royal William” at spit head. Continued there for three or four months. At the end of which time I was drafted on board the ship “Goliah” of 74 guns commanded by Sir Henry Knowles. Sent as convoy up the Mediterranean to Corsica, at which place some were left. I was taken with the rest to Leghorn. Then left to join the blockading fleet of Loular, France. Remained for nine months without entering the harbor.
     Provisions being scarce the fleet was obliged to remove, and sailed for Gibraltar. We had a severe papage, several vessels were foundered. A violent storm from the east while lying here. The “Courage” of 74 guns parted with her anchors and cables in the night and went on shore at the foot of “Ape Hill” on the Barbary Coast, all hands perished but 40. The “Gibraltar” of 80 guns also parted her anchors and cables and went on shore at Algiers, but got off talking with her a rock about a half ton weight.
     The whole fleet then sailed to Lisbon, when going into the harbor the ship “Bombay Castle” of 74 guns was totally lost on the sand bar. This being the first large British fleet that had entered the Lisbon Harbor. The Queen of Portugal made presents of cattle and wine which were distributed to each vessel in proportion to the number of men on board.
Here we remained for several weeks repairing the ships and talking in provisions. In going out to seas, the “St. George” of 98 guns went on shore but was got off and returned to harbor, where she was obliged to remain.
     The diminished our fleet of three ships of the line. The remaining ten vessels proceeded to sea and were joined by five other ships from England. Four days after this we discovered three Portuguese vessels, one frigate and two brigs. Making up to them we obtained the information that the Spanish feet was in a Southeast direction from us.
Following this course, we came in sight of them the next morning; the numbered in all twenty-seven of the line, they formed themselves in two lines, on the leeward the other on the windward. The Spanish had their hardboard tacks on board and we our Starboard.
     The action commenced about 11 o’clock am and continued until sun set. The British fleet commanded by Admiral Jarvis, in the engagement we took four ships. This is called the Battle of Cape St Vincent.

Cleveley, Cape St Vincent - Battle of Cape St. Vincent


     In May 1798 I went up the Mediterranean with Admiral Nelson in pursuit of the French fleet which was sailing for Egypt. We overtook them at the mouth of the river Nile where they were lying at anchor.
     Aug. 1, 1798 at sun set we commenced what is called the Battle of the Nile. In this engagement we took eleven sail of the line and sunk one Frigate.

     In the year 1799, I sailed to Malta where the fleet was kept blockading for two years, the vessel I was on board of became very leaky and was neccetated to make for England.
     I was then drafted on board the “Limerara” of 98 guns, remained with her until peace was restored in the year 1801 at which time I received my discharge.
     In 1804, I engaged at Boatswain on board the ship “Jamaica” bound for the Island of Barbados. I was shortly afterwards pressed and taken on board his Majesties ship “Barbados” and remained with her cruising and taking privateers for the space of three years when I made my escape and got on board a merchant ship and arrived in Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland. Date not remembered.
     In 1808, I shipped for the Pacific Ocean on board the “Neptune” 18 guns 63 hands on a trading voyage.
      On the coast of Peru we had five different engagements with the Spaniards, in one of which I received a grape shot in my right thigh. In consequence of our ammunition being all expended we were forced to surrender. I was then put into the Lima hospital, where I remained for nine weeks and recovered of my wound.
     At this time we were liberated by a British naval officer and put on board a Portuguese ship, but on arrive at Rio de Janeiro, the capital of Brazil, I was pressed and taken of board the “Confians” on her way to England.
     We arrived safe in the river Thames, where I was forced to remain for one year when an opportunity presented itself for my escape which I affected.
      When I arrived home my wife advised me wither to stop at home or take my family with me.
      In 1821, after being at home about 18 months I removed with my family to Upper Canada, North America, whereby a grant from the British Government we were allowed 100 acres of land. We arrived there on 14th July the same year. Remained in Canada 14 years, when we removed to Leseronto Sunco District, Upper Canada in which place I heard and embraced the fullness of the Gospel which was preached by one named Samuel Lake.
      I was baptized by Elder James Stranding Nov. 15, 1841. Shortly afterwards, I removed to Nauvoo where I arrived with my family Sep. 7, 1842. In May 1842 was ordained an Elder. In July 1846, left Nauvoo for Winter Quarters where I was severely afflicted with fever ague for 15 months and entirely lost the use of my right side. I then crossed the river Missouri to Council Bluffs and was there until the spring of 1851 when I was sent for to the Valley of Great Salt Lake in which place I arrived on Sep 10 same year.
      In 1852, Sep 8, was ordained a High Priest under the hands of Reynolds Cahoon and W.W. Major.
     I am now in my 77th year.

1 comments:

Cara said...

This is very cool, Aunt Julie! I love family history stories, especially ones from my own family. ♥️

Post a Comment